Monday, February 4, 2013

Angel One and ACH

Here is a quick update on Evan.  He is stable and is doing pretty good.  We are still waiting on the metabolic tests to come back and are praying that they are negative.  He tested positive for a rare disorder two weeks ago and they had to do a bunch of follow up tests to see if it was truly a positive.  We should have the results over the next few days.  At this point I am hoping that we will never find the cause for Evans weak heart muscle.  I was really anxious about that thought for a long time, but I have come to terms with it and now hope that we will never know.  At this point anything they would still find would not be good news.  They have tested him for all of the "common" reasons (infections ect) and everything came back negative.  Anything they would find now would most likely have long term effects or a very rare disease and be bad news.  I am good with believing that he is a little miracle and that God answered our prayers.  His heart function is not back to normal, but with time we are hopeful that it will make a full recovery.  I am still slightly anxious about taking home a newborn that does not have normal heart and kidney function, but the doctors feel confident that his heart and kidney are good enough.  I am also nervous about long term effects of all the medication he has been on and what if his heart does not completely recover.....so many emotions going through my head.

The Angel One helicopter is a true blessing.  Every time I see or hear Angel One take off or land my heart just skips a beat and I feel sick to my stomach.  I think about the patient that is in there and the family that is hurting.  I feel the pain they are going through and it brings back so many emotions for me. I do hope that family also knows that they are in the best hands possible.  Angel One transports on avg five patients a day by helicopter or ambulance.  Angel One and ACH provide HOPE  and loving care to so many families.  The doctors and nurses are all fantastic.  Not only are they good at their medical care, they also provide love and care to the patients and families.  Here are just a couple examples of why the nurses are so wonderful.  Our night nurse last week knew that I was still on edge, very worried and not at ease with everything.  Here is a note she left for us the next morning.  It was written from Evan and explained everything he did that night.
(sorry it's upside down, but you get the idea....I am going to have to go back and edit all my posts when things have calmed down, I have noticed a lot of typos)
Yesterday I was talking to our nurse about how my hands are just raw from all of the hospital soap and sanitizer.  She went and got her own lotion out of her purse and left it for me.  I think that just shows how caring these nurses are.  I hope that none of you will ever have to use ACH's services, but if you do need them then know you are in great hands.

This is the slogan you see all over the hospital and it is very true.

Arkansas Children’s Hospital, committed to care, love and hope for every child for over 100 years.


Happy 3 week birthday Evan.  We love you very much and can't wait to take you home.

1 comment: