Tuesday, October 10, 2017

The "Weisse Hirsch" is here

My dad owned this antique car that he loved.  He had so many great memories with this car.  He loved to ride around in it, loved the attention, loved it when people took pictures of the car and asked him questions.  He was in his element when riding in this car.

I will always remember the last conversation I had with my dad over the phone.  We were actually out on the lake and our connection kept breaking up.  He asked if I would like to have this car after he passes away.  I just remember thinking "Oh no he is giving away his stuff, this is not good".  Of course I said yes, I would love to have this car.  My dad passed away three days later.

My dad had a nickname for this car.  He called it the "weisse Hirsch", which means the "white deer".  

This summer the car made its way onto a big truck to start a journey across the ocean.
This was the picture my brother sent me.
I talk to my mom often and we both kept bringing up the car and wondering where it was and how it was doing (like it was a person with feelings. Ha).  It was a very strange feeling not knowing exactly where the car was.  This car means a lot to our family.  We will take good care of it over here.

We were given the name of the vessel it was traveling on, so we looked it up on vessel finder.com.  The journey took about 3 weeks on water.

Once the car arrived in Houston it had to go through customs and then we finally received a call last week, that it was through customs and on its way to our house.

We met the truck driver in an area where he could easily get in and out and unload the car.
It was very emotional for me to see this car being unloaded here.  It finally made it and looked good.
The truck driver said he should have charged people money to take pictures of this car.
The car is a 1965 Ford Thunderbird.  It looks nothing like the regular Thunderbirds.  We don't know much about the history of the car, but it is a one of a kind.
We made enough room in our garage to park it in there.
Now the challenge is to get it registered here......wish me luck on that.
This car will always be very special to me and I can't wait to take it out for its first ride back in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment