Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Summertime fun!

I know I am backtracking a little bit now, but I wanted to do a post on my triathlon and Hannah's swim lessons.  I did my first triathlon in July and I have to say I really enjoyed it.  I had a great time training for it and the event was a ton of fun.  The idea of me doing a triathlon was first born last year in December at Megan's wedding, but then I didn't get serious about it until Hannah's birthday in June and I finally signed up for it and started training.  I did the U of Okoboji triathlon in Iowa, which is close to Scott's parents house.  My parents were here to visit and Scott's sisters Megan and Allison came up to support me as well.  Thank you everybody for cheering me on. Originally my goal was just to finish, but as soon as they said "Go" my competitiveness kicked in and I wanted to do well :)  I was very pleased with my results and look forward to doing another triathlon.  The distances were: 0.6 mile swim (19 min), 18 mile bike (55 min), 5.5 mile run (45min). 
Here are a few pictures of this early morning.  Hannah was very intrigued by the bright orange swim cap.
At the finish line.

Next up for us were swim lessons.  I found this neat place in Fayetteville called the Swim Ranch.  This older couple has been running it for over 30 years.  They used to teach swimming up at KState and he was a coach at Arkansas after that.  They did a great job and Hannah really enjoyed it.  I think we have a little fish on our hands.  We practiced climbing out of the pool every day.  I never thought about it, but it totally makes sense to teach them early how to climb out or at least hold on to the edge for a few seconds.  A child is never going to fall into the middle of the pool, they are always going to be close to the edge when they fall in and if they can hold on or climb out that could save a life!
Here are a few pictures of our week at the Swim Ranch.
The kick board was her favorite.
I love this chunky monkey!
We are getting ready to leave for Boston tomorrow and then on to Maine on Thursday.  We are going to our good friends Matt and Casey's wedding and we are so excited!  My brother is coming from Germany and meeting us in Boston.  I look forward to spending some time with him. I hope Earl is not going to dump a lot of bad weather on us over the weekend.
Here is a picture of my two favorite people from last night.

Have a great week.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, look at you and your triathlon! That is so impressive! And, of course, Miss Hannah is just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute pictures! Good luck with the flight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of the pictures!! This is so fun!

    ReplyDelete